Tuesday, December 05, 2006

in DC



So I guess I should add an update. I know I have not spent much time on this blog really discussing me…perhaps that could be the reason for the title of this blog, “My own quest for insignificance.” HOWEVER, I can for the 2 or so people who actually read this ridiculous thread of meaningless words give a little update.

So we have been in DC for a month. After finding out Kie passed the State of Texas Bar ,we arrived in DC having towing our meager possessions that survived our own Craigslist purgings. I loved the comment that we were a turtle with our house on our backs. With only one little hiccup, the camry’s key did not work and needed to rekey the ignition, we made it here in the morning on Sunday.

Since we had signed our contract on the apartment sight-unseen, we were quite nervous when we got here to see what we had committed to for a year. We have named our little basement apartment “the bunker” (possibly reminiscent of dick cheney’s time in the “undisclosed bunker” during 9/11) because of the lack of windows. However, our place is very nice. A quite large apartment, a number of spaces that were with some help, worked out well to fit our needs. I absolutely love the neighborhood. The scale of the tree-lined streets with a great density that is very human. Coming from Houston, where nothing is scaled for pedestrians, I am excited to experience this very different way of living.

As for work we ran into a little snag with Kie’s job, but with some patience getting through the red tape, she was able to start 2 weeks later than we thought. On my side, I have had nothing but positive things happen! While I was nervous about trying to change professions I am amazed at the providence as I was able to secure a job with an even better university than I was expecting. I will be teaching at The Catholic University of America school of Architecture (which will henceforth be known as CUArch). I will be teaching possibly 2 classes, both upper-level. It might work out that I am able to actually earn a living doing this teaching thing!

We have started to go to a church in the neighborhood (just a three block walk!!) Capitol Hill Baptist Church . we are enjoying it so far. How is it that people who don’t go to church even meet people?

We still feel completely alien in this city…but it is slowly but surely getting more comfortable. It is amazing that such a world renown city is SO small. With a population of just 570,000 ( versus houston’s 2,000,000 ) and more experientially we roamed on a Saturday night at about 9pm for a coffee shop to just sit for a little bit, but all were closed but starbucks opened to a late 10.00pm!

5 Comments:

Blogger Holly Bollinger Photography & Design said...

We miss you guys! I want to see a picture of the new house.

5:17 PM  
Blogger dao and tom said...

hi guys,

hmm... fbi, bunker, dc, no windows. i think there is more to this "sight unseen" place than you care to elaborate.

we miss you guys. hope you are enjoying the change of scenery and your time together. we're excited for you both.

i was just out in baltimore last week didn't even think about connect up with you guys. sorry. that just means we have an excuse to come out and visit.

blessings,
tom and dao

3:59 PM  
Blogger RedKev said...

Wow, there's like 4 readers now! Is that your bunker in the picture?

12:34 AM  
Blogger raj said...

sorry it took so long to get back to you all...
my place is not in that picture. it is similar. the front is a beautiful brick rowhouse from the 1800s, but the back where i enter...is more mundane. in fact it takes me a minute or two to even figure out which of the houses it is from the mass side. the picts of the bunker are probably coming soon...and no dick cheney.

good to hear from you tom and dao... as kevin said you make it 4 readers :) i am sure someone is looking to buy my domain with such a high readership!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your "late night" experience reminds me of living here in Seattle. When we first moved everything seemed so small and most places do close early...So not what I expected, but ok since I now go to bed at the whopping late hour of 9:00.

Anyway, miss you guys bunches! It's been 2 years since we've seen your smiling faces.

Love you-Jo

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home