Friday, April 29, 2005

Praise ME...

"I'm not inspired by a lot of the contemporary worship songs that keep going back to 'God, I'll do this for you, I'll say this, I'll speak this, I'll act this.' What I need is not to hear more about what I'm going to do, but about what God has done and who God is and who I am in light of that. What I do is secondary, if lowly, to what God has done and where God is reaching into my life."

—Jars of Clay lead singer Dan Haseltine on why the band chose to rework ancient hymns on their upcoming new release, Redemption Songs



there is definitely a connection with music and emotion. saying that it is really what gets your emotion to kick in. is it an instrument? a set of chords? an arrangement of notes? key?

others it is the words. now to the text of today's songs...
it is no question that the writing of songs ESPECIALLY praise songs is getting a little sloppy. using the above (music etc) to pull at heart strings and using sappy love songs...but slipping in God. Our relationship to God is definitely deeper than that! our love just has to have more of a connection what he is...what he did for us...with a proper respect to the greatness of who God is! the only reason he puts up with us is that we are covered in Christ's blood.

so I have to agree with haseltine's statement... the praise songs do have a lot of what I do instead of what God is! but is that a praise song thing or a common thing in the Church in general? I would say it is sadly the latter. in essence God just wants us to LET GO...let him take over!

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Great quote and great thoughts, Raj. Have you heard the album itself?

7:58 PM  
Blogger raj said...

i am still waiting to. kie and i have been thinking about buying it...but i have heard mixed reviews. i read dan's article in relevant magazine., but this actually came from the summit message board.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

I took a look at the message board the other day. Ouch. It's sad that people can't have a discussion about anything without someone jumping on the "who are you to judge?" bandwagon...

10:01 AM  
Blogger raj said...

come on joel ... who are you to judge!!

yeah i have a feeling i am going to write a blog on that soon.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home